Sunday, December 6, 2015
DELL CS 24 servers. 4 x SAS / SATA ports, dual (ESXI command line install)
November 26, 2014 at 4:37 pm
I have been running ESXi 5.5 Update 2 just fine on these servers. The only issue is with the installation process, so you need to disable headless mode. Just follow these steps and you’re golden.
1. Once the ESXi install starts, IMMEDIATELY hit “SHIFT + O” (letter O, not zero) to get to the command-line install options.
2. Append “ignoreHeadless=TRUE” at the prompt. This will allow the install to finish properly for this boot ONLY. Hit “ENTER” to continue booting and installation.
3. Once the installation completes, it will need to reboot. Repeat steps 1+2 to allow bootup to complete successfully.
4. Once you have fully installed ESXi 5.5, log into it (hitting F2) and ENABLE the “ESXi Shell” and “SSH” in the troubleshooting configuration so you can remote into the interface using a utility like PUTTY. (DO NOT REBOOT SERVER YET!!)
5. Connect via PUTTY or another utility to the ESXi host and type the following command… “esxcfg-advcfg -k TRUE ignoreHeadless”. This will make this setting a permanent change allowing it to boot into the OS every time you reboot your server.
Also, it’s a good idea to use the latest Dell image of ESXi:
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Share to Pinterest
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)